Dec 31, 2007

Burning with a passion...

Passion is an extraordinary thing. Pair it with selflessness and amazing things can happen. I just finished watching the movie "Amazing Grace" (which I HIGHLY recommend renting and purchasing) and was left with an awesome sense of passion and the need to make an impact for something that matters. It reinforced the fact that I want to live beyond myself. I want my life to count for something more than me.

The movie essentially chronicles a 20 year period in the life of William Wilberforce, who had a personal and powerful relationship with God, and who persevered many obstacles inorder to abolish slavery in his country in the 1800's. What was extraordinary about this man is two fold. Number one, he knew what his giftings and passions were, so he combined them and used them not only to honor God but to make a life chaging difference in many others' lives. Number two, he was relentless in pursuing that which he knew was his purpose and passion in life. He spent most of his adult life fighting to free slaves. It wasn't until 3 days before his death that this became a reality! Imagine having that much persistence and passion right up until the end!

I couldn't help but be reduced to tears by the end of it because, at least for me, there is nothing more compelling and powerful then to witness someone live powerfully for God, in a way that honors Him, while also leaving an incredibly life changing legacy behind you.


With regard to the issue of slavery, Wilberforce once said, "Having heard all of this you may choose to look the other way... but you can never say again that you did not know." In Christ, we have the power to help empower and change lives not just on a practical and physical level, but also on a deeper and more meaningful eternal level. Make every day you live a time where you can leave God's hand print on society. Make every moment possible one that counts for eternity's sake. That way, those you have come in contact with will have seen or heard the truth and can never say they did not know.

I want to burn with a passion for something that will transform lives and last beyond me. I want to burn with a passion for Christ that out lives my time on this Earth and that rocks the very foundations of people's lives.

That is my aim and that is my heart in going to work in Eastern Europe. Could you find it within yourself to do what you can and to do what it takes to help get me there so that I can, like William Wilberforce, undoubtedly change lives for the better and for eternity's sake?!


No comments: