Sep 18, 2007

When Ukraine & Canada Collide . . .

I am so grateful for the opportunity I had last summer (July 2006) to visit the country of Ukraine. It has since become such a strong and empassioned part of me that some who know me best just roll their eyes and sigh when I break into one of my Ukraine stories (that's right Tanya, I am talking to you! LOL). I was so sad when I was not able to join the team that went this past June. That is why I was over joyed to have my friend Denis Davidov (aka Malsoman!) come visit from Ukraine for couple of days this past August. If I was not able to go there, then his coming to Canada was a way for me to get a piece "home" anyway. Denis has been our translator for the 4 years whenever we go to work in Ukraine.




When Denis came we spent a whirl wind 4 days visiting everything from the House of Jazz restaurant in Montreal, to the Govenor General's home in Ottawa. We toured all over Montreal and learned things about the city that I didn't even know, and I have been living here my whole life. I know I will definately miss this great city (and even province!) once I am gone. I already get choked up now and then and I am not even gone yet! I am so mellow dramatic- I know! LOL. We got to spend a beautiful day in Ottawa with Sonny, an old teammate from the 2006 trip to Ukraine. It was so special being able to have been together again.

While Denis was here. I also got the chance to have him meet and hang out with my best friend Maxine, and her boyfriend Daniel. We had so much fun. I was so surprised when I over heard Denis and Daniel having an entire (long and drawn out) conversation in Spanish! Daniel is Columbian so of course he could speak, but Denis... I knew he understood but I was really surprised at how much he knew. At one point Max and I just looked at them and were like "OK I guess they are in their own little world right now!" LOL. They became friends instantly!

Later that evening, Denis came to my church, ConneXion, and performed a song that he had written and composed. It is called "Imagine". Everyone really loved it and were very moved. I think he was a real hit with the crowd that night! Afterward, we hit the town and showed him the view of the city at night from atop Mount Royal. We had him close his eyes as we walked him to the edge. When he opened his eyes, he was blown away at the view. It was the sweetest thing to see.

No comments: